How to fix audio/video stutter with flash in Debian / linux and Chrome

Jun 28th, 2012 | By | Category: Internet, Links

So today flash went from bad to worse.  It was doing some weird stuff as the video track would lag behind and then catch uip and lag and smoetimes it would just restart the video all together on youtube so I decided to unintall flash-nonfree and install gnash in an attempt and that just made the situation worse as all videos just started to stutter like crazy.  The video and the audio would stutter making flash totally boinked.

After some googling I found someone with a similar problem and was instructed to put

chrome://plugins/

into my url bar to see that just as with the other person I had 3 flash plugins installed.

Mainly:

Name: Shockwave Flash
Description: Shockwave Flash 11.3 r31
Version: 11.3.31.109
Location: /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so
Name: Shockwave Flash
Version: 11.1 r102
Location: /home/unc0nnected/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
and
Name: Shockwave Flash
Version: 11.1 r102
Location: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
The solution was to disable the first two and just leave that last one running and now everythiung works peachy keen.. For youtube switching to the html5 player also solved the problem(obviously)
Tags: , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments to “How to fix audio/video stutter with flash in Debian / linux and Chrome”

  1. Chris says:

    Thank you good sir! I had this exact problem and this solved it completely!

    I had the following three versions installed (had to click details in the upper right corner first):

    Version: 11.3.31.208
    Version: 11,3,300,257
    Version: 11,3,300,262

    I disabled the first two and left only 262 enabled. Boom! Solved.

  2. Zac says:

    Didn’t work for me. I had to disable the lasts two not the first two. Thanks though!

  3. m. howard says:

    I did have more than one, but my fix was to disable the entries of type PPAPI (out-of-process), and leave one NPAPI enabled. I’m sure that risks some stability for the tab it’s running in, but apparently the inter-process communication giving it that stutter every couple seconds. Perhaps there’s a scheduling feature not available in my kernel with which it might PPAPI better.

Leave a Comment