How to remove the double dash / two dashes above the signature in Thunderbird

Apr 29th, 2012 | By | Category: Internet, Linux / Freebsd

Well as you will be told all over the place the double dash is the industry standard indicator of the beginning of a signature.  Well guess what? It messes with my uber ascii art signature that I created today out of a need to reduce my x-spam score and stop getting blocked by spam (Blogged about it here) so it has to go.

Turns out that once you sift through the flame wars on the mozilla forums about the potential end of the world effects of removing this it is actually pretty easy.

Go into edit/preferences .

Under advanced click on ‘config editor’

Now go find this: “mail.identity.default.suppress_signature_separator”

Double click to change it to ‘true’ and you are set!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

14 Comments to “How to remove the double dash / two dashes above the signature in Thunderbird”

1. StephTech says:

Thunderbird 12 :
    Tools| Options| Advanced| General| Config Editor…

2. MsDimples says:

I had a real problem trying to figure out how to remove the – – from signature. I managed to fine a way to get rid of the signature but not the damn dashes! Whomever you are… GOD BLESS YOU and Thanks for your tech support!

You made my day!!

No one else had a solution!

Thanks a million!!

Missy

3. admin says:

Well it’s a wonderful thing to know that I’m not the only one going through these problems.. For the most part I just blog about the shit I deal with in linux day to day and a lot of the time feel like I must be the only one encountering these problems cause why the heck is no one else talkin about them? But now there are two of us, huzzah! Go start a blog and do the same and we shall pass it forward to the digital netizens of the future!

4. Chill Star says:

Thanks very much. So much chatter about this online, yet very little in the way of solutions.

This is the best way to do it, and probably the easiest.

Rather than rattling on about why having the dashes is so critically important, it would be far more useful if these other people would just tell others how they can do it if they want to.

Nice work.

5. Vicky says:

How do I do this on Mac, Thunderbird/3.1.20. Thanks a lot.

6. admin says:

Can’t say I know, I’m not a Mac user

7. Vicky says:

Okay, thanks.

8. Michael says:

The dashes above my Thunderbird signature are gone … thanks so much! This is by far the best and easiest way to get rid of those — things 🙂

Thanks!!

9. 1.Open Mozilla Thunderbird.

2.Open the “Tools” menu.

3.Select “Options,” then select “Advanced.”

4.Select “Config Editor.” A popup will appear warning you that making changes may void your warranty or affect the

“security, stability and performance of this application.” Click the “I’ll be careful, I promise!” button to

continue.

5.Find the “mail.identity.default.suppress_signature_separator” entry and double-click it. This will change the

entry from “false” to “true” and change the entry to boldface type.

10. Thank you so very much!

11. I’m guessing these solutions to the two dashes are dated if only because “Options” does not appear under “Tools” in version 31.1.2.

Nor does the path through “Preferences” appear.

Also, I’m getting TWO LINES of two dashes.

Any clues?!
    Thank you.

12. admin says:

sorry, none that I can think of. Haven’t used thunderbird in a while since switching to Zimbra so chances are the solution is no longer valid 🙁

13. Mike says:

Thank you! Works on Mac…Thunderbird version 31.2.0

Click on;
    Thunderbird
    Preferences
    Advanced
    on the pop-up, at the bottom, on the right of the pop up screen, is a button named “config editor”. Click that.

Click on “yes I will be careful”

Find the “mail.identity.default.suppress_signature_separator”

Double click to change it to ‘true’.

14. jeff says:

The Config Editor fix worked great. Thanks! On Version 24.0.1, the config editor is:

options > options > advanced > general tab > config editor.